You’ve done quite a lot of work, and presumably spent a lot of money to get your prospective customer to your checkout page, and then, inexplicably, they go away without completing the transaction. Studies show that approximately 67 percent of shopping carts are abandoned.
Sometimes the reasons are none of your doing: second thoughts, insufficient funds, kids spilling face paint all over the floor. We get it. But in many cases, it is likely something we’ve either done or not done that leads to shopping cart abandonment. Below are 7 ways to help keep you from creating issues for yourself, while increasing your checkout page conversions many times over.
7 Ways to improve checkout page conversions
- Free shipping - If at all possible, you need to be able to offer free shipping for any physical product you can. Needless to say if you’re selling RVs, we can fudge some here, but high shipping costs and the lack of perceived value in that are the #1 reason people abandon shopping carts.
- Words matter - The text you use on your calls to action and especially any buy buttons needs to be carefully planned and tested. It can be the difference between a sale or an exit.
- Clutter free forms - Make sure you’re not asking for anything you don’t really need in your shopping cart forms in the way of information. People are only going to give you what’s essential for the transaction, and if you press for more, they’re outa there.
- Reassurance works - Trust seals and especially guarantees near the credit card fields make a huge difference.
- Easy contact information - Give prospective customers ways to contact you if they need more information. This can be an email, phone or webpage.
- Images sell - It’s good for a person to see what they’re buying before they pull the trigger. Including a small product image on the checkout page can suffice.
- Live chat - If you feel that your product offering is receiving a lot of questions, check your sales copy and think about offering a live chat solution to help. The simple act of connecting with another human may be all the push they need to finish the sale.
Please do me a favor by sharing this post with your friends. You can also let me know what you think of my post by leaving me a comment on my Facebook page and about other topics you would like me to cover.