If you’ve been internet marketing for any amount of time no doubt you’ve heard the oft-repeated proverb that Content is King. Well, as it so happens, it’s finally right.
Content marketing is undoubtedly the hottest buzzword going into 2014, and for good reason. Some 27 million pieces of content are shared daily. And with Google’s search algorithm getting smarter, and by that I mean having the ability to properly discern a piece of content’s actual popularity via social signals among other things, it’s more and more difficult to foist unmerited content on the search results.
So how can you make that magic for your own sites? Below are a few trends and best practices for content marketing in 2014.
- Make a content plan - Just as major publishers use an editorial calendar, you need to make and follow a content plan, one that is flexible enough to allow for spontaneous adjustments when necessary.
- Make a blog - Since each month more than 329 million people read blogs, and businesses that have an active blog are receiving 97 percent more leads than those who don’t have one, what’s your excuse now?
- The advent of branded content - Another newish term recently is branded content. This is content intended to sell while at the same time offering an undeniable entertainment value.
- New channels - Exploring new content channels you might not have tried before ought to be on your to-do list. LinkedIn sponsored posts, Slideshare and Google+ are awesome outlets to plunder.
- SEO your content - Planning your content with SEO in mind is a must. Social sharing, links and tying in with email are items to think about. It never hurts to have Google in mind when developing your content.
- Have a social media strategy - Since 80 percent of users prefer to connect with brands on Facebook, an active social media plan together with your content is extremely important.
- Optimize for mobile – 56 percent of Americans now have a smartphone, and aren’t shy about using it! Make sure your content is optimized for mobile viewing and reading. No one wants to read volumes on a small screen, so keep that in mind.
Make 2014 the year you develop and perform winning content marketing strategy. It will pay off!
Please do me a favor by sharing this post with your friends. You can also let me know what you think of my post by leaving me a comment on my Facebook page and about other topics you would like me to cover.