Social media marketing for your small business is hard enough without shooting yourself in the foot. Self-induced social faux pas are super easy to commit, and hard to overcome. Social media is not just important to include, but important to get right! While some 74 percent of brand marketers saw a rise in website traffic after investing just 6 hours per week on social media, whereas another 83 percent have deserted a purchase after a bad or non-existent customer service incident. (Creotivo.com)
- No engagement with your customers -This is “social media”. Be sure to ask questions, share humorous anecdotes (relevant) and by all means, ask for their opinions. They will provide them to you, and you can use this data in your business.
- Lacking excitement or passion - If you’re not excited about your brand, it’s likely to be very difficult to get anyone else excited about it, either. Communicate this in your postings, and in your campaigns. We all want to create a buzz about our businesses, but it starts with you!
- Always promoting - No one wants to be continually sold to, and social media is littered with businesses that have tried. Strive to develop relationship and trust first, and after that it will be much easier to send an infrequent selling message.
- Not responding to your customers - There is no quicker way to ruin whatever goodwill and respect you’ve created in your brand than to ignore your customers. It’s way too easy to completely miss customers and prospects posting their concerns, questions or complaints on these very platforms! Don’t be that guy!
- No coherent social media strategy - Not having, or not understanding why, you’re using social media is a recipe for floundering, and wasting a lot of money and time. Furthermore, not every company is well-suited to every platform, so give this some thought.
We’ll leave you with a link to a great demonstration of what NOT to do! In an example that’s being shared widely, (much to their chagrin) the food site Epicurious. After the recent Boston marathon bombing, they sent out these unfortunate tweets.
Please do me a favor by sharing this post with your friends. You can also let me know what you think of my post by leaving me a comment on my Facebook page and about other topics you would like me to cover.